Learn.nmsu.edu now powered by Canvas
NMSU replaced Blackboard CE 8 with Instructure Canvas as its learning management system (LMS) for the Summer 2012 semester. View announcement here.
You can find more information about Instructure Canvas at: http://www.instructure.com/
Reason for Change
Blackboard CE 8 was no longer supported by Blackboard Inc. after December 2012. Because the date fell in the middle of the academic year for NMSU, the LMS Task Force recommended that NMSU change the LMS before the start of the Fall 2012 semester.
For a timeline click here.
In a lengthy evaluation process at NMSU, Canvas received the highest evaluation marks from faculty and students and met the University’s evaluation criteria better than any of the other available options.
- Significantly faster tools for grading.
- Notification options for faculty and students using Facebook, Twitter, SMS, and more.
- Integration with Google docs.
- Wikis, RSS feeds, web conferencing integrations, and more.
- Works on any modern browser, including mobile browsers. Mobile apps are forthcoming.
- Easy you-tube-like tools for posting video, available to faculty and students.
- One-click recording and posting of webcam video, available to faculty and students.
- Clean, intuitive user interface, featuring drag and drop usability throughout.
- Rapid migration tool for pulling content (including quizzes and assignments) from Blackboard Vista/CE.
- Gold Star Certification for accessibility from the National Federation for the Blind.