Computer Operating Systems
- Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Home Edition and Professional)
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Mac OS X 10.5.x and above
Computer Processor Speeds
There is no specific RAM or CPU speed requirement for client machines; however, as with any Internet application, the slower the computer, the slower pages and tools will load.
Supported Web Browsers
As of November 4, 2013, Instructure Canvas supports the following desktop browsers and Flash versions:
- Internet Explorer 9 and 10
- Chrome 29 and 30
- Safari 6 and 7
- Firefox 24 and 25
- Flash 10 and 11 (if you want to use the audio/video recording or viewing feature or upload files)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser 4.0
On Microsoft Windows operating system:
- Firefox 24 and above
- Google Chrome 29 or above
- Internet Explorer 9 and above (make sure it is NOT in compatibility mode)
- Safari 6 and above
For Mac OS operating system:
Preferred High Speed Internet (Cable, DSL, etc.)
Flash and Java Plugins
- Embedded videos and document preview may require Adobe Flash Player to view. Be sure to keep your version of Flash up to date.
- To use the Conferences feature in Canvas, a supported Java plug-in must be installed. This comes with the freely installable Oracle Java Runtime.
- Environment (JRE) installation package. The following JRE versions are supported: 1.6x and higher.
Adobe Reader or Apple Preview
Additional Media Players and Plugins
On occasion, a course may use audio or video that requires a certain type of media player, such as Quicktime, Windows Media Player, or Real Player. Some videos or content may also require the Microsoft Silverlight plugin, which is a freely available download.