Some exams require that you use the Respondus Lockdown Browser. When using the Lockdown Browser, you will be unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, you will be locked in until it is submitted for grading.
Watch this brief video to learn more about Respondus Lockdown Browser.
We strongly recommend using an Ethernet (wired) Internet connection while taking your exam in Lockdown Browser. If you lose your Internet connection during the exam, it will lock up the browser and not allow you to save answers, move on to other questions, submit or exit the exam.
1. Download NMSU’s installer for Respondus Lockdown Browser.
- Read over the information provided for your selection and click the Download Installer link.
- When the File Download Installer dialog box opens, select Run to open the Respondus Lockdown Browser Installer.
- Click the Install button to install Lockdown browser to your computer’s desktop.
2. Then you’ll need to select the operating system on which Respondus Lockdown Browser will be installed:
- If you are using a computer that uses Windows, click the Windows icon.
- If you are using a Macintosh computer, click the Mac icon.
3. Then select the option that best fits your situation:
- Lab Computer — If you are using a lab computer on an NMSU campus, please contact the Lab Administrator to assist you with this installation.
- Your Own Computer — Select this option if you are installing this software on your own computer or one that you are borrowing from family or friends.
- Work Computer — If you are using a computer at work, you MAY need to contact the system administrator for assistance.
- Log into the Chromebook start Google Chrome
- Log into Canvas and navigate to the exam that requires LockDown Browser
- Select the link for downloading and installing LockDown Browser
- From the Chrome web store, select “Add to Chrome” to install the LockDown Browser Extension
Note: LockDown Browser for Chromebook has exited the beta phase and is now available as a final release. It is no longer necessary for instructors to enable the Chromebook option on a per exam basis.
This knowledge base article provides additional information about LockDown Browser for Chromebook, including feature limitations and known issues. This article will be updated periodically.
In order to install Respondus Lockdown Browser, you will need to have administrative privileges. Also be aware that if you are installing this software on a work-related machine, there may be software that is pre-installed on the system that may interfere with Respondus Lockdown Browser. If you begin having problems when using a work-related machine, try using a non-work computer and see if you continue to have problems.
In addition, antivirus programs can interfere with the download and installation process. You may need to temporarily disable your antivirus software in order to complete the Respondus Lockdown browser installation.
- Close all open programs or applications.
- Open the LockDown browser by clicking the icon on your computer’s desktop
- Login to Canvas normally
- Go to the course which has the exam you want to take
- Take the test and submit it as you would normally
- Log-out and close Lockdown browser
You may be prompted to close any programs or windows that are still open. Select the option to close these programs from the prompts that appear. Sometimes the LockDown browser will be unable to close an application. You will need to manually close these applications before you can proceed.
If you experience problems with the Lockdown browser, please check this support page for assistance.
Respondus Monitor is an optional tool that your instructor may enable that requires the use of a webcam in order to proctor your exam.
Respondus Monitor is fully integrated with Respondus Lockdown Browser. If you have already installed Respondus Lockdown Browser on your machine, then you already have access to Respondus Monitor.
Windows: 10, 8, 7. Windows 10S is not a compatible operating system.
Mac: OS X 10.12 to macOS 10.15. *
iOS: 11.0+ (iPad only). Only available if enabled by course instructor.
Web camera (internal or external) & microphone
A broadband internet connection
* LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor may continue to run in older operating systems that have reached “end-of-life” but students may encounter unexpected results.